Monday, February 20, 2017

Week #35 February 6 2017

Hola todos!

This weeks letter may see different in that I am going to put in my letter to President this week. There are just some things that I wanted to express to all of you that are in it.

Family-My parents are doing well! They are in China right now which is definitely a new experience for them. My sister's pregnancy is making her look huge, but she is doing well.
Area- Something that touched me a lot was to hear the testimony of our Branch President's wife. She amazes me. When I first got to the area I was told that she had been offended by the missionaries or something to that effect. Not to say that she was mean, just a little less open. With that in mind, last night as we passed by their house to talk about a few things regarding a visit that went not perfect with a less active member and also to talk a little about getting Hector to the Temple to do Baptisms for his family, she shared with us some of the most comforting words I have ever heard. She shared her testimony of missionary work and basically shared her love for us. It was something I really needed. I can truly see that my work here has not been for naught. The members seem to thank us for way more than I feel like they should because I really don't feel like we have done that much, but I do know one thing; we have done our best and the Lord has qualified the work. He has brought in more strength to the branch and is pouring out His spirit here with us. It is not what we have done, but what the Lord has done through us.
Companion- This week Elder Jun began to step up to the plate. I have been working super hard to get him to do the real plays, to take the lead and to be a great missionary. We had a wonderful experience that I think changed him and the way he sees missionary work. We taught the Restoration and had a super great lesson. The amazing thing was that Elder Jun was able to say what he needed and wanted to say. We had a good rhythm and we had the Spirit with us. It was the first time I think Elder Jun really felt like he could do it. That everything will be all right. He still isn't fully confident, but it is growing. 
Teaching- I think this has to do a little with the paragraph above. This week we have been still working with Hector, but a lot has been finding as well. We were able to find a doubt of one of our investigators, but now that sets a new task ahead. We are working with a new investigator named Betty. She is the girlfriend of one of the members, and ironically sister of another though the relation is not the best. All in all, I am still learning how to teach and improve my ability to focus on the people and not lessons. I think this is the key when teaching. We cannot teach repentance in a rote way because repentance is not a rote process. I think to Hector and some of the things we need to teach him. Even though he is a member, there are many principles to still learn. Many we don't think of, but are related to the Gospel. I think my mind is being enlarged a bit every day to understand more the principle of everything being spiritual to God.
Studies- I have been able to answer many of my questions this week especially one I had concerning Hell. We had a lesson a while back and I had a bit of a hard time because many of the principles we teach about Hell versus the principles in the Plan of Salvation, though the same really, are often misunderstood. I found my answer and am much more confident to teach about it now.

Other experiences I had this week was to go to the temple. Sadly, both Elder Jun and I forgot our cameras, but our Branch mission leader has some I will get sent as soon as I can get him to send them. The temple was amazing and I was able to see the other video during the session that I had not seen yet. I was amazed that I understood every part even though it was all in Spanish. I also had such a warm feeling of the Spirit while I was there it was just wonderful! I realized exactly why I share the gospel and it is because of that feeling I get from living the gospel, an being able to realize the blessings of the Temple. It is the most marvelous thing! I wish that everyone would listen just so that they can experience the joy that I feel. I am not any better than them, but I have been blessed greatly by the hand of the Lord and I want all people to experience them. I may sound like a crazy repeating dish, but that is why what I am doing is important. It is not just about inviting people to learn about Christ, it is helping them become more like Him. That is why He gave us His gospel in it's fullness once again on the earth. I am truly grateful to be here and be an instrument in His hands.

Sincerely,
Elder Haynie

ps: This is basically what the changes for the missionaries were. The biggest changes we had are to key indicators and to the schedule. We have 4 key indicators, Baptisms and Confirmations, Investigators with a baptismal date, Investigators at Sacrament meeting, and new investigators. The Schedule is now different and variable for each mission according to their circumstances. In our mission it is similar, but the biggest changes is in that things aren't necessarily set. Our mission schedule is:

6:30 wake up and pray
6:30-8:30 Exercise and prepare for the day
8:30-10:00 Plan(30 min) Personal Study(60 min)
10:00 out the door
10:00- 6:00 Companionship study(30-60min) Language Study(30-60min) The First 12 weeks training(30min) Lunch(30min) Dinner(60min) Proselyting
6:00-9:00 Proselyting
9:00 Home unless in an appointment
9:00-9:30 Write in Journal
9:30-10:30 Bed, prepare, Pray

That's pretty much it. It allows for a lot of freedom in choices, though in many respects I was already doing many of these things. In Africa for instance because it is dangerous to be out after 6:00, they wake up earlier, proselyte before and save some of the other things like dinner for after they return to the apartment sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment